Longford Urban Circular WalkParks & Walks
- All the family
- Under 5s
- School age
This walk starts at Longford Nature Reserve, heading via the Coventry Canal to Hawkesbury Junction. It then connects with the stunning Wyken Slough Nature Reserve and eventually brings you back to Longford Park. It's a lovely scenic walk with lots to discover along the way!
Longford Urban Circular Walk | Walks in Coventry
The walk starts at Longford Nature Reserve, at the junction of Blackburn Road and Longford Road B4113. For Sat Nav use CV6 7AS.
- Distance - 4.5 miles / 7.3 km
- Time - 2 hours 20 minutes
- Grade - easy
- Follow the path through Longford Nature Reserve alongside the River Sowe, cross over the small metal bridge, bear left and follow the path up the hill.
- At the top, turn right onto the Coventry Canal towpath.
- Stop on the Coventry Canal towpath to Hawkesbury Junction.
- At Hawkesbury, leave the Coventry Canal and take the right hand towpath at the side of the lock, onto the Oxford Canal to Tusses Bridge next to the Elephant & Castle public house.
- Go under the bridge and turn right, take the footpath up to Alderman's Green Road.
- Follow the road under the M6 Motorway, to a gate on your left, into Wyken Slough Nature Reserve. Go through the gate and follow the path over a small bridge, continue on bearing to the right keeping the corral fencing to your right hand side.
- Keep on this track until meeting a tarmac road.
- Turn right and continue down this road until there is a large opening in the hedgerow on your left. At this point turn left, (at the post indicating the Sowe Valley Footpath).
- Take the path alongside the pool, turn right across the bridge, (ignore the next post for the Sowe Valley Walk) and continue straight up the path to the traffic lights at Aldermans Green Road.
- At the lights, cross over the road into Sandpiper Road opposite. Follow this road down, bear left into Egret Walk, bear left at the end, then turn right at the entry, over the bridge and turn right into Windmill Road.
- Continue on to the other entrance of Longford Park (before Mill Race Lane), turn right, cross the car park, to the pedestrian access gate in the metal barrier.
- Turn left and follow the path through the park.
- At the path junction, go right to the bridge crossing the River Sowe.
- Over the bridge turn left, taking the path through the ornamental gardens to finish the walk at the park gates on Longford Road.
Car parking is available in Longford Park opposite the Longford Nature Reserve.
Credit to Peter Page and www.walkingbritain.co.uk for this fantastic walk.